Sunday, March 6, 2011

Three Lessons in Communication

My mother-in law likes to tell the story of Jerry's first encounter with the new Spanish-speaking neighbor children, "They talk to me but I don't hear them."

I was a happy 7 year-old feeding Cheerios to our new puppy during breakfast, when my mother said, "Jeanie!  Ignore the dog!"  Ignore?  What was I supposed to do?  Feed him all my cereal?  Pet him?  Yell at him?  What?  I sat there not moving, until I heard the comforting words, "Jeanie, eat your breakfast."

He was four and I was busy.  He talked at my side and I washed dishes, all the while giving what I thought were appropriate comments.  I don't remember a single thing he said, 36 years ago - until he said, "Listen to me!"  I answered, "I am listening to you."  He shook his head, 


"Listen to me with your eyes."

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

THese are great! Love them. How do you remember all these little memories?! Oh, wait. Your a journal keeper!

Jeanie said...

Carrie, I'm assuming that YOU left this comment - I know that I didn't! You're the only one that can log into my blog as me. Thanks, for helping with all of this. And, yes, journals do help!

Derek & Naomi said...

Wow, that makes me want to cry. My poor little guys, I know they feel the same way at times. But, I have been doing a whole lot better than in the past so there's hope! :)

Jenny said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one (although I realize that doesn't make it okay). Lauren occasionally whips me back into shape with a "Mom! Are you not listening?"

shelly said...

ooooh scotty you are so cute!